Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital
This hospital, known locally as Suan Dok Hospital, was established in 1939 in order to expand the service of the Chiang Mai Municipality Hospital. It was officially named as Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital in 1983 by Royal Permission. The hospital has 1,400 beds and serves an average of 1,000,000 out-patients and 50,000 in-patients annually. In 1988 Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital initiated the implementation of quality improvement procedures, following the guidelines of hospital accreditation in Thailand, and was accredited in January 2002. Notably, it has received numerous awards and recognitions including the United Nations Pubic Service Award 2009: “Improving the delivery of services” from the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the Outstanding Public Service Award: Innovation from the Office of the Public Sector Development Commission, the government of Thailand, in 2010.
Many joint programs have been set up with other hospitals and health centers, both inside and outside the Chiang Mai area, to provide medical and educational support for physicians and medical students. In cooperation with the Ministry of Public Health, physicians from the Faculty of Medicine provide medical services at rural health centers and give special lectures for doctors and other health personnel at provincial hospitals in northern Thailand.